Jesus came to Earth to show us the Father. By studying his life, and the lives of godly men in our environments, we can understand that God has a good plan for each of us, that He will protect us from harm and that He will provide for us. Earthly fathers are called to do all of those things for their children, and godly fathers can call upon the Holy Spirit to enable them to model God the Father to their earthly children.
“Thomas said to Him, ’Lord, we do not know where You are going. How can we know the way?’
“Jesus said to him, ’I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.’
“Philip said to Him, ’Lord, show us the Father, and that is sufficient for us.’
“Jesus said to him, ’Have I been with you such a long time, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father. So how can you say, “Show us the Father?” Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own authority. But the Father who lives in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me. Or else believe Me on account of the works themselves. Truly, truly I say to you, he who believes in Me will do the works that I do also. And he will do greater works than these, because I am going to My Father. I will do whatever you ask in My name, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it’” (MEV).
- Whatever else Father’s Day is in the Church, it is a reminder that God is our Father and the model for earthly fathers.
- Jesus’s ministry shows three aspects of God’s character, and earthly fathers’ mandate:
- He has a good plan for your future. Fathers model life for their children. If fathers are continually tardy (indicating they don’t really want to go where they are going), children will model that behavior. If fathers emphasize the importance of salvation, children will ultimately value salvation as well.
- He is committed to His children’s protection. Jesus didn’t lose any of His disciples (Judas chose to leave the protection of Jesus). Earthly fathers can best protect their children by giving them a home in which there is peace.
- He is committed to providing for His children. Earthly fathers need to provide their own presence far more than any arbitrary level of material possessions. It’s especially important to provide for children spiritually - to pray for them and bring them to church where they can learn the things of God.
- Not every family models the relationship God shows for His children, but there is forgiveness and restoration in the body of Christ. Many circumstances can prevent a family from looking and functioning according to God’s best for family members, but we believe for special grace to overcome circumstances and human shortcomings so that everyone can experience the love of God in their family environment.
Thank You for sending Jesus to Earth to show us Your plan and Your character. And, thank You for continuing to model Your character in Your design for the family. You created fathers to show their children what You are like, to draw us to Yourself! What an amazing plan.
I pray for the fathers and the families in our congregation and in my circles of influence, that they would conform to Your plan. And where circumstances and our own choices lead to situations that are far from what You intended, send special grace to the children impacted, that they may see a clearer picture of You in some other way. Order my steps that I might conform to Your vision of the family, so that the next generation may better know You, honor You and serve You.
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ – Jehovah Joshua Messiah – I pray. Amen!
WHC FAMILY PRAYER REQUESTS
In Matthew 18, Jesus said "Truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." Let’s stand in agreement with the following members of our church family who have requested prayer:
We want to pray with YOU!
Send in your prayer request on this online form
so we can agree with you in prayer!
Send in your testimony or praise report here
when God moves in your life, so we can give Him glory with you!!