Bartimaeus took advantage of Jesus being in Jericho and cried out for Jesus to heal him. What do you need from God, and are you willing to cry out to Him to ask for it? The proof of your desire for Him is measured by how assertively you are pursuing Him! Find someone who needs what you need and become partners in seeking His mercy and grace together.
“Then they came to Jericho. And as He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat along the way begging. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, ’Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’
“Many ordered him to keep silent. But he cried out even more, ‘Son of David, have mercy on me!’
“Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called.
“So they called the blind man, saying, ‘Be of good comfort. Rise, He is calling you.’ Throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.
“Jesus answered him, ‘What do you want Me to do for you?’
“The blind man said to Him, ‘Rabbi, that I might receive my sight.’
“Jesus said to him, ‘Go your way. Your faith has made you well.’ Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the way” (MEV).
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all His benefits,
who forgives all your iniquities,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
who satisfies your mouth with good things,
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s (MEV).
- The synoptic gospels all record Jesus’s only trip in and out of Jericho. Only Mark’s account focuses on a blind beggar named Bartimaeus. He cried out to Jesus for His mercy. Jesus offered Bartimaeus mercy and then asked what he wanted. Bartimaeus asked for his sight, and Jesus healed him.
- Matthew, who had been a tax collector and therefore, we assume that he paid more attention to numbers than others, noted that there was a second blind man with Bartimaeus. We need to have people aligned with us who understand our needs and are interceding for us, and us for them. There is power in agreement!
- Whatever your situation - whatever you’re believing God for - find someone else in the same situation and pray for God to work in that person’s life. Get a partner in tribulation to be your partner in supplication, agreeing for each other’s miracle!
- Bartimaeus is also a good model for us because he passionately pursued his own healing. He cried out to Jesus enough to get His attention. How assertively are you bombarding Heaven with your prayers for God to intervene in your situation? Cold desire spawns denial.
- Mercy is God’s love for you applied specifically to your situation. Grace is God’s love for you that accounts for your sin and blesses you anyway.
- Jesus was in Jericho once. Your moment with God isn’t going to happen again. Your extremity is His opportunity to bless you - don’t let it pass without asking Him for blessing and believing you will receive it from Him!
Thank You for Your mercy! That You would come to me when I call to You and meet my needs is a reality that is overwhelming. Forgive me when my pursuit of You grows cold and becomes a denial of Your existence and Your love that seeks to bless me. Order my steps so that I would always pursue You and ask You for mercy in my times of tribulation.
Show me the people I am to join with in pursuit of Your love and Your mercy. Make us partners in accountability who drive each other in pursuing You, so You may be glorified through our lives. Make my life and that of my accountability partners testimonies to Your goodness and Your mercy.
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ – Jehovah Joshua Messiah – I pray. Amen!
WHC FAMILY PRAYER REQUESTS
In Matthew 18, Jesus said "Truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." Let’s stand in agreement with the following members of our church family who have requested prayer:
We want to pray with YOU!
Send in your prayer request on this online form
so we can agree with you in prayer!
Send in your testimony or praise report here
when God moves in your life, so we can give Him glory with you!!