Valor Christian College is a biblically based community of higher learning called to educate and equip Christian leaders in academic excellence, moral integrity, spiritual intensity, and physical purity, to be agents of change and models of character and to serve Christ professionally in the advancement of His kingdom.
The Director of Student Financial Services provides oversight for the Financial Aid and Student Accounts processes at Valor Christian College. This director is responsible to administrate staff and programs that assist students with billing, financial aid applications, and receipt of federal, state, and institutional funds that make it financially possible for them to attend VCC. This person has responsibility to ensure VCC is complying will all state and federal regulations.
Deliver exceptional, student-focused support to all students that interact with the Financial Aid, Finance Office, and One Stop Student Services while understanding the unique needs of increasingly diverse and traditionally underserved student populations and providing oversight for the day-to-day customer service operations through all available points of contact.
Develop an annual operating and communications calendar for One Stop Student Services designed to ensure optimal service to students throughout the calendar year.
Collaborate with campus partners in the oversight of a new One Stop Website in the way of design, content, and brand, and development of other marketing materials as needed.
Make recommendations to directors from student-serving units across campus for any operational or strategic changes that can improve the overall student experience.
Collaborate to enhance VCC’s ability to recruit and retain talented and diverse students by applying best practices in the development, implementation, and management of student services.
Regularly track and assess performance metrics and strategize ways to continuously improve customer outcomes and ensure that all VCC communities are served effectively.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
MANAGE AND LEAD STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES STAFF, OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE BUDGET, AND ELECTRONIC/AUTOMATED SERVICES TO PROVIDE INFORMATION AND SERVICE TO STUDENTS
- Lead and train professional and student staff to provide excellent service and accurate processing of financial aid and billing services.
- Provide on-going training and support to ensure staff development growth and increased knowledge of institutional, state, and federal guidelines.
- Coordinate streamlined interdepartmental processes within the Student Enrollment Experience, including but not limited to Registrar, Engagement, Online, and Admissions.
- In collaboration with key leaders, develop and review office procedures maximizing accuracy, efficiency, productivity, and customer service.
- Coordinate installation, setup, and operation of various software systems used in the Student Financial Services Office.
- Coordinate timely completion of tasks.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
MANAGE THE AWARDING OF FINANCIAL AID PACKAGES TO RECRUIT AND RETAIN STUDENTS AT VCC
- Develop and implement awarding and packaging policies to support enrollment goals and maximize the utilization of funds.
- Develop forms and publications to notify students of financial aid awards and procedures.
- Manage the counseling and financial advising for students and their families.
- Work with other offices to prepare invoice information for students (i.e. OneStop, Admissions, Accounting, Registration, Engagement, Housing).
- Coordinate authorization of financial aid funds to be disbursed to student accounts.
- Work with enrollment management team and third-party vendor to determine KPIs each year.
- Cross-train other members on the financial aid, student billing, and other student facing processes and policies.
- Create and provides data and/or reports on operations for tracking and evaluation.
ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL, STATE, AND COLLEGE REGULATIONS
- Monitor students’ eligibility of financial aid funds.
- Attend federal, state, and professional financial aid and student billing information and training conferences.
- Keep current on federal and state financial aid programs, including interpretation, implementation, and compliance regulations, procedures and eligibility requirements.
- Monitor and provide oversite for the administration of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Loan Programs, Minnesota State Grant and Loan programs, Federal and State Work-Study Programs, and VCC’s institutional grant, scholarship, and discounting programs.
- Develop consumer information and provide to students as required by federal regulation.
ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL, STATE AND UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS
- Prepare annual FISAP (Fiscal Operations and Application for Funds) Report for U.S. Department of Education with assistance from Accounting and Registrar’s Offices.
- Send origination and disbursement records of Federal Pell Grants to the U.S. Department of Education’s Recipient Financial Management System.
- Assist in the submission of Financial Aid data for reports, the annual IPEDS report, and other requested data from enrollment, institutional research, and the registrar’s office.
- Prepare annual report for auditors and provide information and answer questions for annual audit.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in a One Stop Student Services center or closely aligned stakeholder office, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of areas of Enrollment Management, including admissions, financial aid, registration, and orientation, as well as other areas, such as student billing.
- Demonstrated evidence of successful experience working with diverse populations and collaborating across institutional areas, commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Proven leadership and supervisory skills, visionary and operational.
- Clear and confident communicator, possessing excellent written, oral, listening, and presentation skills.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Strong project management, experience leading team projects.
- Analytical and skilled with using data.
- Relationship builder with an ability to develop internal and external relationships with students, families, and staff, and provides a high level of service across the University.
- Experience with operating budget management.
- 5+ years of experience managing a One Stop Student Services office.
- Experience with implementation of a One Stop or similar integrated services operation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to the delivery of financial aid funds for higher education.
- Experience with of technological resources including a wide variety of software programs and applications including but not restricted to university ERP systems, word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Knowledge of federal tax forms and financial aid application forms.
- Skill in math and accounting procedures to reconcile student and financial aid fund accounts.
- Skill and experience in customer services to provide excellent customer care.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written form to ensure shared understanding of information.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to deal with sensitive financial and personal situations of students and parents.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND FREQUENCY
- Exposure to repetitive motion of the fingers, hands, and wrists on a daily basis
- Work is performed in a Christ-centered environment
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
- Use of a PC and telephone, photocopier and facsimile machine approximately 95% of the workday
Valor Christian College employs qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, familial status, and status with regard to public assistance. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.